Modern Christian artists consider themselves gods, which is essentially “an idolatry of creativity. The point of creating a work of art is ‘the shock of the new,’ creating something that hasn’t been created before, or doing something that hasn’t been done before.”
[Robyn deGroot]

Jan 12, 2011

Contridictions

In the midst of wrestling with the idea that my creativity is an idol (you know, my desire to express myself THROUGH art),I am wrestling with this proclivity to do exactly that.

As I ponder "killing the artist" visual representations flash through my mind, my hands clinging to a partially completed canvas as another power tries to twist it and pull it away... I start a poem in my head, lamenting the death of my "artist"... Argh! How is it possible to remain quiet? Or still?

It is time to get up and walk away... but not before I find a good death-inducing podcast to help me through the dishes and chores that wait behind me like an impatient butler whispering,

"Excuse me Mrs. Latham, but the children need tending."
"Excuse me Mrs. Latham, the house is all out of sorts."
"Pardon me, Mrs. Latham, remember your responsibilities".

AND, I am fighting really hard not to "jazz up" this blog!!!! So hard to let it be... Heroine might be easier to kick.

John Piper, you rock. And Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

  1. hA! We just need three or four Caroline's in our lives...

    ReplyDelete